The Haven’s mission is to help people through the physical and emotional experience of breast cancer by offering a free, in-depth and personalised programme of psychological support and complementary therapies.
How we work
- We provide a free programme of up to ten therapy sessions which are designed to meet the needs of the Visitor (patient) and to complement their medical treatment.
- We deliver the service through a dedicated and experienced team of professionally–trained cancer nurses, counsellors and therapists.
- We create award-winning ‘havens’ where Visitors relax in a beautiful, calming, healing environment, far removed from hospital waiting rooms. We currently have centres in London, Hereford and Leeds and are planning more.
- Support is also available through The Haven at Home DVD/CD, through our website, by telephone and by outreach in some locations in the West Country and West Midlands.
- We carry out research and evaluation projects to test the effectiveness and benefits of our programme.
How to access our programme
There are two easy ways access our free Haven programme either by booking a individual appointment with one of our specialist nurses or senior therapists or by coming to one of our Haven Introduction Days. Either way, there is no need for a referral of any kind - you can just ring us to make an appointment. We look forward to hearing from you.
How we are governed
Our Trustees ensure that the charity runs efficiently to meet its challenging goals and our Clinical and Scientific Advisory Board provide invaluable guidance and advice. Our Founder, Sara Davenport, remains very involved with the charity.
The support and information on this website has been certified by the Information Standard.
Sara Davenport founded The Haven in 1997 because she was concerned by the lack of emotional support and information available at that time to anyone diagnosed with the illness.
“I am enormously proud to be Patron of The Haven…"
Work for us
Working for us can be challenging, rewarding and also a lot of fun.